Positive Psychology Can Help Achieve and Support Healthy Behaviors
October 13, 2022
By: Dr. Mary Rose Strickland
Positive psychology is the study of that which allows individuals and communities to thrive. Additionally, studies show having a purpose in life is important in mitigating disease risk and promoting longevity.
Ways to engage in positive psychology:
- Positive emotion – ability to be optimistic and ability to view the past, present and future in a positive fashion.
- Engagement – being fully absorbed in the present moment that stretches intelligence, skill, and emotional capacity.
- Relationship – development of positive social connections with other humans emotionally and physically (note this does NOT mean online and through social media, which has the opposite effects of positive psychology).
- Meaning – having a purpose for why one is on the Earth and encompasses the values placed on activities, one’s views, and one’s attitudes.
- Accomplishments – sense of satisfaction, pride and fulfillment from having ambition to accomplish realistic goals.